"We value the many contributions of our staff, and we recognize that every person, every job, contributes to the well-being of the children, adults, and families we serve. I hope you will consider joining one of our many teams to make a difference in the lives of so many of our neighbors and community members."
-Bob Bick, Chief Executive Officer
Click the link below to learn how Howard Center helps change lives:
Community Outreach Specialist
Employees in this position may be eligible for up to $3,000 in grant-funded tuition or loan assistance.
Work closely with local law enforcement to provide the best services to residents at the lowest level of intervention possible. In this position, individuals will be a designated liaison to a specific community but also provide a regional response. This role involves directly working with diverse populations.
- Respond to specific locations to address behaviors reported by the community and assist law enforcement with problematic behaviors occurring in neighborhoods.
- Identify heavy service users and "service resistant" individuals.
- Intervene with individuals who are frequent users of emergency services for non-emergencies, and connect them with more appropriate services and serve as a more appropriate resource for seeking assistance.
- Monitor and prevent acute symptoms of mental illness and/or substance abuse in the community. Provide de-escalation and limit setting around behaviors witnessed in the community.
- Consultation and coordination with other service providers around treatment plans, obtaining services, negotiating for services that have been restricted. Ongoing consultation with law enforcement to address and prevent problematic behaviors from occurring in public and private spaces.
- Ride-a-long with law enforcement to strengthen partnerships and cross-system understanding.
- Deliver supports to help individuals reach and sustain stability in the community. Provide basic mental health, medical, legal, and financial supports, referrals and other information.
- Provide support and education to law enforcement.
- Establish face-to-face connections and communication strategies with local merchants.
- Education of community members around psychiatric disabilities, homelessness, substance abuse, and various other mental health issues.
- Assist in post-tragedy response including sudden death notification.
- Outcome data reporting.
- Work proactively to reach out to families in crisis.
- A combination of two years' experience and education
- A valid driver's license and use of a personal vehicle
- Pass an extensive background check and finger printing process by law enforcement
- Basic computer skills
- Full- time
- Annual salary starting at $50,768
- We offer a competitive Salary commensurate to experience
- Generous time off starting at 36 days of combined time off per year for full-time employees (and increasing with years of service); pro-rated for positions 16 hours or more
- Comprehensive BCBS Medical with 80% agency-paid premium support for individuals, couples, and families (pro-rated for part time). This Point of Service Plan features no deductible.
- Two Dental options through Delta Dental
- Vision Insurance
- Employer 401(k) contributions
- Employer Paid Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term insurance
- Medical & Childcare Flexible Spending Account
- Childcare Stipend
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee referral program with financial payment
- Discounted online undergraduate/graduate courses through Champlain College truED
- Award-winning workplace wellness program including physical fitness groups for staff, financial wellness incentives, and ongoing workplace wellness advocacy and education
- Voluntary benefits from local/international businesses: discounted gym memberships, mobile phone service, ski/snowboard passes, auto/home insurance, and more!
- Employee referral and sign on bonus is subject to Howard Center policy.
Our Values: Clients are at the heart of our decision making. We are committed to individual and collective well-being and success. We are responsible stewards of the resources entrusted to us. We are steadfast in our practice and pursuit of excellence.
Howard Center is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. The agency's culture and service delivery is strengthened by the diversity of its workforce. Minorities, people of color, LGBTQIA and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. EOE/TTY. Visit "About Us" to review Howard Center's EOE policy.