Howard Center's Community Outreach Specialists will serve adults, children and families and will work closely with local law enforcement to provide the best services to residents at the lowest level of intervention possible. In this position, individuals will be a designated liaison to a specific community but also provide a regional response. This role involves directly working with diverse populations.
This CONT-TEMP position will have a set number of part time hours each week.
- Respond to specific locations to address behaviors reported by the community and assist law enforcement with problematic behaviors occurring in neighborhoods.
- Identify heavy service users and "service resistant" individuals.
- Intervene with individuals who are frequent users of emergency services for non-emergencies, and connect them with more appropriate services and serve as a more appropriate resource for seeking assistance.
- Monitor and prevent acute symptoms of mental illness and/or substance abuse in the community. Provide de-escalation and limit setting around behaviors witnessed in the community.
- Consultation and coordination with other service providers around treatment plans, obtaining services, negotiating for services that have been restricted. Ongoing consultation with law enforcement to address and prevent problematic behaviors from occurring in public and private spaces.
- Ride-a-long with law enforcement to strengthen partnerships and cross-system understanding.
- Deliver supports to help individuals reach and sustain stability in the community. Provide basic mental health, medical, legal, and financial supports, referrals and other information.
- Provide support and education to law enforcement.
- Establish face-to-face connections and communication strategies with local merchants.
- Education of community members around psychiatric disabilities, homelessness, substance abuse, and various other mental health issues.
- Assist in post-tragedy response including sudden death notification.
- Outcome data reporting.
- Work proactively to reach out to families in crisis.
- A cominbation of two years' experience and education will be considered
- Specialists will be required to have a valid driver's license, use of a personal vehicle and must pass an extensive background check and finger printing process by law enforcement.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- This is a Cont-Temp position
- This is a non-exempt position
- This position is not benefit-eligible
Perks & Benefits:
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee referral program with financial payment
- Discounted online undergraduate/graduate courses through Champlain College truED
- Award-winning workplace wellness program HC4ME including physical fitness groups for staff, financial wellness incentives, and ongoing workplace wellness advocacy and education
- Voluntary benefits from local/international businesses: discounted gym memberships, mobile phone service, ski/snowboard passes, auto/home insurance, and more!
Howard Center is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. The agency's culture and service delivery is strengthened by the diversity of its workforce. Minorities, people of color and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. EOE/TTY. Visit "About Us" to review.